How to Wash
Children should be encouraged to develop a good hand washing technique so that they get their hands thoroughly clean.
It is important to wet hands before applying soap, and make sure all parts of the hands and fingers are cleaned, especially the fingertips, which often get missed.
- Rub palm to palm
- Rub palm over the back of the hand, fingers interlaced
- Palm to palm fingers interlaced
- Fingers interlocked into palms
- Rotational rubbing of thumb clasped into palm
- Rotational rubbing of clasped fingers into palm
TIP: The length of time to wash hands properly is as long as it takes to sing the Happy Birthday song twice.
After the child has washed their hands, it is important to make sure that they rinse and dry their hands thoroughly.